To stay as happy as we are now, to have the time we want together (and with our own family in the future) and to live sustainably on our own land. That's it really, the simple, good life.
- a simple warm and cosy home
- half an acre or more of land to call our own
- chickens for eggs and comic value, i just think they are hilarious!
- ducks and a pond
- a fruit orchard, apples mostly
- small forest for wood, wildlife and a treehouse
- bee hives for honey and beeswax for candles
- dairy goats for milk and cheese
- creative studio (for me)
- dark room (for hubby)
- pollytunnel and greenhouse for veg and chillies
- big kitchen to cook, bake and be the heart of the home
- diverse year round herb and flower garden
- multiple cottage industry income sources
We leave John Seymores' bible, oh I mean book, open on this page as a visual reminder of the type of thing we are working towards. It's his 'new book of self sufficiency' - brilliant, practical and inspiring.
In the past we have had nearly all of the things on our wish list, just not at the same time. We've also never owned our own land, so each time, although we loved having that specific element (chickens/veg gardens/big kitchen) it felt temporary. Another thing was that we have only in the last year decided for certain where we want to be.
Over the last 5 years since we met, even while finding our place in the world, I think we've done quite well at living as close to the dream as we can. We are big believers in enjoying each day, enjoying the journey to the dream...